I have been MIA for a bit! I know, a bit disastrous when you are a blogger. But my excuse is, i had family visiting (still have them) and family being my Parents-in-Law…they are visiting us here for the first time since our wedding. So i want their stay to be as memorable as possible, which ofcourse mean lots of work. Heh. But the good news is, i am accumulating lots of goodies, recipes, places to eat, so I will be bombarding you guys with all of it in next coming days! Beee reaadyyy for the driveeee, peeeps!
the first for today is our household favourite, Punjabi Samosa! Everyone loves it, and the indian stores sell it for like $3-4, and in actuall you can make it yourself at no cost and hardly anytime! Here you gooo!
Prep time: 20min
serves: 4 (makes 4 samosas)
- Flour (maida) – 1/3 cup
- oil – 2 tsp
- salt – 1/2 tsp
- caraway seed (ajwaeein) – a pinch
- black seed (kalonji) – a pinch
- water- enough to make a stiff dough
- potatoes – 3 medium sized
- cumin seed – 1 tsp
- astoefida powder – a pinch
- mango powder (amchoor) – a pinch
- green chilli – 1 deseeded
- salt – as per taste
- red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Corriander seed – 1 tsp
- green corriander – 3 tbsp
- ginger garlic paste – 1/2 tsp
- Peel and cut potatoes in cubes, and soak them in water and put on the stove to boil.
- while your potatoes are boiling, make the dough.
- combine all the dough/patty ingredients and put enough water to turn it into a stiff dough (as below)
4. Leave the dough covered in a cloth for few minutes, while you make the stuffing
5. Heat oil, and put cumin seeds till they crackles
6. Add ginger garlic and green chilli to it and saute
7. Add potatoes, astoefida pwd, mango pwd, salt, chilli, corriander and coriander seeds to it, and stir with spoon. And largely break the potatoes. (You can add peas too if you like).
8. once your stuffing is ready, now get back to dough, and breaknit into two balls.
9. Roll out one ball into an oval shape, and cut it horizontally from centre (as shown below)
10. Now bring togethere the two corners and push them togethere, till the top (as shown in pic)
11. Now fill in the stuffing and seal the bottom 🙂 as shown in the pic
And they are ready to be deep fried in the frying pan with oil!
Anddd DEVOUR! 🙂